Tuesday 16 July 2013

The Invisible Circus, Jennifer Egan

Read on the Kindle, downloaded as a 99p deal at the same time as Trains and Lovers, but it took me until June to get round to it.

I chose this because I'd read A Visit from the Goon Squad last year.  I believe this is an earlier book, and the structure, 'tho still complex, is not as sophisticated.

Phoebe grows up in the 70's in the shadow of her much older and prettier sister, Faith.  At the outset of the book we know that Faith is no longer alive, and it takes the rest of the book to find out what happens to her.  In the meantime, Phoebe takes a road trip through Europe following the postcards that Faith sent to her.

I did enjoy this book, but some of the plot points turn on some very unlikely coincidences and I disliked the character of Faith, so it was hard to care so much about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment